Sydney United 58 crowned Premiers

Sydney United 58 crowned Premiers

It was all smiles at Valentine Sports Park for Sydney United 58 on Sunday night as they consolidated the 2016 PlayStation 4 NSW NPL Men’s Premiership with a one sided 4-1 victory over the Bonnyrigg White Eagles.

A Chris Payne brace and goals to Panni Nikas and Glenn Trifiro saw them get over their local rivals.

It was a great result for the club after they suffered an early Westfield FFA Cup Round of 32 exit at the hands of Blacktown City FC going down 6-2.

The White Eagles had the opening chance of the game after only three minutes.

A loose ball fell to the feet of Ray Miller who took a touch and shot.

His effort was blocked but fell to Aaron Peterson who sent an ideal opportunity from the penalty area over the bar.

In the 6th minute Glenn Trifiro weaved his way through a couple defenders in the box, only for James Chronopoulos to come out and block at his feet.

Some fine United build up play almost saw Trifiro break into the box, only for Michael Robinson to make a fantastic last-ditch tackle.

On 25 minutes though, United hit the front.

It was that man again Panni Nikas, playing a neat one two with Robbie Mileski, he unleashed a powerful strike that Chronopoulos couldn’t hold, as the ball hit the back of the net.

It was typical of Nikas who has been outstanding this season.

Two minutes before the break, Yianni Fragogiannis made a lung-busting run through midfield, playing through Chris Payne who shot toward the far post, only for Chronopoulos to make an important diving save.

As the game moved into first half stoppage time, Triantis played a pin point cross to Yutaro Shin whose flick on header was well saved by the Bonnyrigg shot stopper.

United 58 FC had the opening chance of the second half on 51 minutes.

Nikas showed all his class, first stealing the ball from David Vrankovic before showing composure to curl his shot beyond Chronopoulos and onto the cross bar from the edge of the area.

With half an hour to go, United should’ve doubled the lead.

Trifiro sprung the offside trap and broke through one on one with Chronopoulos, unselfishly he squared the ball up for Payne who had an open goal.

Somehow, Payne scuffed his lines and completely miss kicked the ball as the White Eagles cleared their lines.

Nikas was next to have a chance but somehow Robinson came from nowhere to block the shot.

In the 69th minute, Robinson had a brain explosion fouling Mileski in the box.

Payne stepped up and atoned for his earlier miss, sending the Bonnyrigg shot stopped the wrong way.

On 78 minutes United confirmed the three points and the Premiership.

The White Eagles didn’t deal with a cross in from the right as Trifiro picked up the ball in the six-yard box and placed the ball into the back of the net.

Bonnyrigg began to crumble and three minutes later it was 4-0.

A misplaced pass from a White Eagle’s defender, straight in to the feet of Payne saw the United attacker strike the post.

After a scramble in the box, Nikas flicked the ball to Payne who smashed the ball home.

Mention must go to youngster Nathan Bertolisio who got a well earned rest with five minutes to go after a great performance playing in left back.

In the final seconds of the match the White Eagles had the opportunity for a consolation.

Robbie Younis was brought down in the box and the man himself made no mistake from the spot, sending Thomas Manos the wrong way.

A jubilant Mark Rudan was ecstatic with the club’s Premiership win, winning them their second trophy for the season, the first being the Waratah Cup.

“It’s a great result and night for the players, they’ve done themselves really proud and have worked hard for this end result.

“This Premiership was all about hard work that the boys put in throughout the season and we will enjoy it today but get our minds back on the job when we take on Manly United next weekend.”

Leave a Reply to Anonymous Cancel Reply